Tuesday 29 November 2016

Practice what you preach!

So far I have made quite a few blog posts on how dietary choice affects your carbon emissions. It’s all nice and good to talk about it, but no difference will be made unless action is taken! Therefore I took it upon myself since the beginning of the blog to become a part time vegetarian! Alongside cutting down my meat consumption, I also discovered a few other ways to cut down my personal carbon emissions.

I discovered this website where you can make pledges to save carbon emissions by changing little things in your daily life. Most actions are fairly achievable!

According to the calculation of the website, I will be able to save 200kg of CO2 over the next 2 month. This is achievable by doing the following:

  • Having 3 vegetarian meals a week (24kg)
  • Reduce food waste by finishing all the food cooked or bought (22kg)
  • Only boil the right amount of water needed (2kg)
  • Only eating sustainably sourced fish (7kg)
  • Reducing the thermostats down by 3C (114kg)
  • Putting my laptop on battery saving mode and turning it off when not used (7kg)
  • Doing all my recycling correctly (21kg)
  • Washing my clothes at 30C (2kg)
  • Turning lights off when not used (1kg)
Assuming that average UK residents emit 9.66 tonnes of carbon every year, these actions collectively will reduce my emission by 2.7%! Of the 200kg carbon reduction made, 27.5% came from changing food practices. However, if I become completely vegetarian, I will be able to reduce my emission by near 4%. (Note: the calculation itself is an rough estimate! I will explain why this figure differs from my previous claim that going vegetarian or vegan could reduce emission by 10% roughly.)

This is the building in which I live and collectively we have pledged this much as shown below! 


Check it out and see how much you can save personally. This campaign is brought to you by Do Nation, which champions reducing our environmental impact through adopting more sustainable yet achievable behaviours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment